Roller shutter doors and sectional overhead doors both offer excellent security, safety and performance.
In this article, we will discuss which is best – roller shutter doors or sectional overhead doors – for your individual business premises.
Sectional overhead doors
These are comprised of panel sections that lift vertically as the doors are opened. The panels roll upwards and curve and roll under until the door is fully open. They can be space-saving because of their up-and-over design. This can also keep all mechanisms out of reach, minimising the risk of damage.
Sectional overhead doors are used in a wide variety of premises in practical applications like ambulance and fire stations, showrooms or warehouses and factories.
Benefits of sectional overhead doors
The following are the main benefits of sectional overhead doors:
- These are affordable, efficient, easy to operate and maintain
- You can choose between manual or automatic operation
- They are available in a range of sizes, including very large
- They offer strength and durability
- Large panels can be made to accommodate window or doors access, depending on your needs
- These doors offer excellent thermal insulation and draught seals whilst also allowing ventilation
Control options for sectional overhead doors
There are also a number of control options for power-operated sectional overhead doors. These include:
- Infra-red safety beam
- Remote control
- Warning lights
- Automatic timed return
- Traffic detection induction loop
- Pneumatic safety edge
Roller Sutter Doors
On the other hand, roller shutter doors are comprised of horizontal slats that roll up and down and gather around a barrel above the door. There are tracks on either side of the door that hold the tracks in place. This door type, as well as the sectional overhead kind, also does not take up very much space because it rolls upwards rather than outwards.
Roller shutter doors are often used in warehouses, industrial units and factories.
Benefits of Roller Shutter Doors
Here are the main advantages of roller shutter doors:
- These are typically made from galvanised steel and so have excellent strength and safety.
- They are therefore able to withstand high use and adverse weather conditions
- These doors can be installed as either a built-in or bolt-on option
- Roller shutter doors are always built to your exact requirements
- There are several operation options including manual or automatic, remote-control operation and automatic timed return.
Optional features for roller shutter doors
Roller shutter door optional features can include:
- Barrel hoods and canopies
- Weather seals
- Fire-rated doors
- Additional security features
- Integrated pedestrian doors
- Added insulation
- Bottom rails
- Pneumatic safety edges
- Warning lamps
- Infra-red safety beams
- Vehicle and pedestrian detection radar
- Induction loops for traffic detection
Hopefully, we have laid out for you the main benefits of each type of door, and this will help guide you in your choice. Ultimately, if you decide to instal a sectional overhead door or a roller shutter door, you can feel confident in your choice. Both are available in a wide variety of different colours and finishes. Both will conform to CE regulations (as long as you buy from us) and both types will provide you with excellent safety and security features.